[Histonet] histoclear vs xylene
Campbell, John Thomas (UMR-Student)
2006-06-21 15:21:52 UTC
I have read several protocols on staining slides and most of them talk about using xylene the protocol that I am currently using says to use Histoclear. I was wondering what the difference was and I would like to know the pros and cons on using xylene and using histoclear. what do you all use and what exactly are the hazards of using xylene

John Campbell
Graduate Student
University of Missouri Rolla
Lab phone 573-341-4069
Cell phone 573-694-0596
Rene J Buesa
2006-06-21 16:15:59 UTC
John:
In a "nutshell" I can tell you the following:
1-xylene: universally used for tissue processing and staining but a product that should be avoided because of known health hazards.
2-histoclear: a "xylene substitute" sometimes used as a replacement of xylene. Does not work equally well. It is "allegedly safe" but really with no documentation of long term health effects as xylene has. Maybe with time it will turn out to be as hazardous as xylene.
Our profession has some health hazards and we just have to work as safely as possible.
Hope this will help you!

Bruce Abaloz
2006-06-22 00:27:33 UTC
John,
I agree with Rene that Histoclear doesn't work as well as Xylene.
We used to deparrafinize routinely in Xylene...X2 changes, 3 min.
each.
Now we use Histolene/Histoclear, x2 changes of 10 min. each - a
third wd. probably be good (?) We now have gone back to
deparrafinize in Xylene for ALL Immuno/Histochem. 'stuff' (only), as
were having problems with 'end results', until - we went back to
deparrafinizing in Xylene!
As far as the "known health hazards" - check your MSDS/Xylene; it
is not even considered Toxic....simply make sure you do all your
work under a fumehood/be sensible...I use it to purge my Tissue
Processer as - NOTHING works like Xylene.
Cheers,
Bruce in OZ
1-xylene: universally used for tissue processing and staining but
a product that should be avoided because of known health hazards.
2-histoclear: a "xylene substitute" sometimes used as a
replacement of xylene. Does not work equally well. It is "allegedly
safe" but really with no documentation of long term health effects
as xylene has. Maybe with time it will turn out to be as hazardous
as xylene.
Our profession has some health hazards and we just have to work as
safely as possible.
Hope this will help you!
John Campbell
Graduate Student
University of Missouri Rolla
Lab phone 573-341-4069
Cell phone 573-694-0596
BRUCE ABALOZ
PH:61383446282
HISTOLOGIST
FAX:61383447909
DEPT. of ZOOLOGY
EMAIL: ***@unimelb.edu.au
THE UNIVERSITY Of MELBOURNE. VICTORIA. AUSTRALIA 3010
Nobody Can Make You Feel Inferior Without YOUR Permission -
Eleanor Roosevelt
DANCE LIKE
NO-ONE'S WATCHING
Q: What's a specimen?
A: An Italian astronaut.
Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID) [E]
2006-06-22 03:06:56 UTC
Here is the web site on xylenes from the EPA

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/xylenes.html

I would not necessarily agree that "it is not even considered Toxic" but
I do agree nothing is quite like xylene or toluene for histo.

Cynthia Favara
NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD
903 South 4th Street
Hamilton, MT 59840
406-363-9317

Disclaimer:
The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is
confidential and may contain sensitive information. It should not be
used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have
received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it
from your mailbox or any other storage devices. National Institute of
Allergy and Infectious Diseases shall not accept liability for any
statements made that are sender's own and not expressly made on behalf
of the NIAID by one of its representatives

A: An Italian astronaut.
Anne Van Binsbergen
2006-06-22 10:05:54 UTC
ozziebruce
'not considered as toxic'- this level of ignorance NEVER fails to amaze
me.....perhaps you need to do a little more reading up on xylene and
associated harmful effects - there are many!!!!
annieinarabia

A: An Italian astronaut.
Smith, Allen
2006-06-22 14:45:09 UTC
Although we carefully save our MSDS's in a neat alphabetical file, what we
actually consult is Lewis and Sax's HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS DESK REFERENCE (kept
in my office) or HAZARDOUS PROPERTIES OF INDUSTRIAL MATERIALS (kept in the
lab). Lewis and Sax say of xylene: "Moderately toxic by inhalation,
ingestion, and subcutaneous routes... Irritation can start at 200 ppm."
Bruce, however is taking due precautions by using xylene in a fume hood.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida 33161

[...]
A: An Italian astronaut.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, and/or privileged material. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
Barry University - Miami Shores, FL (http://www.barry.edu)