Eosin
Hannen, Valerie
2015-07-13 15:05:21 UTC
Good morning,

I once again am dealing with a my picky Pathologist!! About a year ago, he started to complain about not having enough Eosin on his sections( first morning rack on Monday).. I went from changing the Eosin on Friday and stirring it on Monday to totally changing it on Monday...it has all been good until the end of last week. The problem has started up again... little Eosin in the first rack of Monday morning. Any suggestions??

Valerie Hannen,MLT(ASCP),HTL,SU (FL)
Section Chief, Histology
Parrish Medical Center
951 N. Washington Ave.
Titusville,Florida 32796
T: (321)268-6333 ext. 7506
F: (321) 268-6149
***@parrishmed.com<mailto:***@parrishmed.com>
www.parrishmed.com

======================================
"This email is intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. If the reader of this email is not the
intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately
======================================
Rene J Buesa

Hannen, Valerie
2015-07-13 17:30:50 UTC
Rene,

As I stated before and maybe I was not entirely clear, we had this problem ( little Eosin in the sections of the first rack of slides on Monday morning) before, but had remedied it by starting to change the Eosin on Monday morning before the first rack of slides was run. He now is stating that the problem of little Eosin in the sections from the first rack on Monday A.M. is starting again. Since the last fix of the problem we have not deviated in any way, procedure or chemical wise. We have used the same lot # in previous weeks for the Eosin as we currently have on the stainer ( I changed the Eosin this morning) , so I don’t think it is an Eosin problem per se.

Kari,

We do use 95% alcohol before our Eosin at all times. I would think that if the alcohol before the Eosin was the problem, all of my racks would have the “little Eosin in the sections” problem.. not just the first rack.

Again any and all suggestions are welcomed!!

Thanks again Rene and Kari for replying.

Valerie

***@parrishmed.com<mailto:***@parrishmed.com><mailto:***@parrishmed.com<mailto:***@parrishmed.com>>
www.parrishmed.com<http://www.parrishmed.com>

======================================

======================================
Rene J Buesa
2015-07-13 18:04:43 UTC
Sometimes these issues are "mysterious" and in your case are particularly "mysterious" because you once solved the problem, only to recently "reappear".I am going to tell you how I used to do it and never had those PT rejections:1- for both hematoxylin and eosin I kept a log of the number of stained slides and changes both when I reached 200, regardless of the day of the week or the time within the day the amount was reached.2- I always used the same brand (Harleco) 3- I never left the staining set over the week. Everything was removed the last day of work (Saturday) and the containers were rinsed and dried and left upside down. For the automatic stainer (Sakura) we did the same thing.4- come Monday morning the whole set was prepared and everything started again.
Now, before I retired all the method was changed and this part probably you will not attempt: we dewaxed with dishwasher soap (elimination of xylene and ethanol). The slides went directly to the hematoxylin → bluing → differentiation → water → eosin → wash water and from then directly to an oven at 60ºC for 15 minutes (elimination of ethanol and xylene) → coverslip
So, try as I describe in points 1 to 4 or you can even could try eliminating xylene and ethanol and "go green" and "dry".René

#yiv6464311563 #yiv6464311563 -- _filtered #yiv6464311563 {font-family:Helvetica;panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv6464311563 {font-family:Helvetica;panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv6464311563 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv6464311563 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}#yiv6464311563 #yiv6464311563 p.yiv6464311563MsoNormal, #yiv6464311563 li.yiv6464311563MsoNormal, #yiv6464311563 div.yiv6464311563MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv6464311563 a:link, #yiv6464311563 span.yiv6464311563MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6464311563 a:visited, #yiv6464311563 span.yiv6464311563MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6464311563 span.yiv6464311563EmailStyle17 {color:#1F497D;}#yiv6464311563 .yiv6464311563MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv6464311563 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv6464311563 div.yiv6464311563WordSection1 {}#yiv6464311563 Rene,  As I stated before and maybe I was not entirely clear, we had this problem ( little Eosin in the sections of the first rack of slides on Monday morning) before, but had remedied it by starting to change the Eosin on Monday morning before the first rack of slides was run.  He now is stating that the problem of little Eosin in the sections from the first rack on Monday A.M. is starting again.  Since the last fix of the problem we have not deviated in any way, procedure or chemical wise.  We have used the same lot # in previous weeks for the Eosin as we currently have on the stainer ( I changed the Eosin this morning) , so I don’t think it is an Eosin problem per se.  Kari,  We do use 95% alcohol before our Eosin at all times.  I would think that if the alcohol before the  Eosin was the problem, all of my racks would have the “little Eosin in the sections” problem.. not just the first rack.  Again any and all suggestions are welcomed!!  Thanks again Rene and Kari for replying.  Valerie  From: Rene J Buesa [mailto:***@yahoo.com]

======================================"This email is intended solely for the use of the individual towhom it is addressed and may contain information that isprivileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosureunder applicable law. If the reader of this email is not theintended recipient or the employee or agent responsible fordelivering the message to the intended recipient, you arehereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, orcopying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If youhave received this communication in error, please immediatelydelete this message. Thank you" ======================================
Kienitz, Kari
2015-07-13 15:20:46 UTC
It's always kind of a stab in the dark to diagnose H&E problems without a little more information. One thing I would try if you don't feel its an actual Eosin problem is your alcohol prior to the eosin. Slide volume and humidity can dilute your alcohol and cause lighter cytoplasmic staining. The alcohol prior to eosin should be 95% and changed daily if need be.

Kari Kienitz HT, (ASCP)
Histology Laboratory
Gastroenterology-EAST
The Oregon Clinic
1111 NE 99th Ave
Portland, OR 97220
503.935.8311
***@orclinic.com

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This e-mail and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this missive. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message and its attachments from your computer system. Thank you